WCA was initially engaged by a well-known national not for profit health support organisation to provide in-house strategic and specialist HR and IR services over an 8 month contract and continues to provide outsourced IR consulting services when required.
Following an initial and comprehensive People and Culture Audit, WCA developed a People and Culture Plan and we were subsequently engaged in October 2015 to implement the recommendations which involved setting up a centralised HR function to be administered by an internal employee.
It was determined that, fundamental to achieving the organisations People and Culture objectives was the promotion of an internal employee into the position of HR Officer. The internal employee was already involved in HR administration however required guidance and mentoring in managing the HR function. To achieve this, a Senior HR Consultant employed by WCA based at their premises on a weekly, part time basis, and supported by the WCA Principal and WCA staff.
This arrangement proved successful with the following key objectives achieved:
- Centralisation of the HR function to provide consistent and compliant HR support and advice across the organisation;
- Training and mentoring of the HR Officer to improve communication style and ability to provide strategic Industrial Relations advice;
- A consistent and outcomes based HR systems including processes and templates;
- Development and implementation of a recruitment and selection function;
- To reduce the recruitment and administration function of Managers by centralising the process, revising policy and procedure and creating uniform templates for the attraction and selection processes;
- Development and implementation of an Orientation Program to include a 1st day induction, corporate induction, tours of services including the lodges, and mentoring/ buddy program;
- Review and implementation of Policies and Procedures including discrimination, harassment & bullying and grievance process; and
- Counselling and mediation.